CFI’s Global Financial Modeling Competition
Introducing CFI’s Global Financial Modeling Competition! Join the thousands of financial professionals who will compete to be named “number one in the world at financial modeling and valuation“. This prestigious competition will announce the top 20 finishers globally as a sign of distinction among finance professionals across the globe. Enhance your own professional profile by becoming one of the distinguished competitors, plus be have a chance to win up to $10,000 of cash prizes!
Register at financialmodeling.org
Early Bird Registration
Register for the competition and reserve your spot now!
Official registration opens in May 2019, and you can take advantage of early pricing now. Click on the link below to register at financialmodeling.org.
How does the competition work?
This unique financial modeling competition launches with the release of a case study containing detailed financial information about a company. All of the participants are then tasked with building a valuation model in Excel from scratch (or with a template), based on the information provided, and must arrive at a valuation for the business.
Contestants will have 1 week to build their model, determine a valuation, and then upload the completed model to our system.
How are the winners determined?
CFI ‘s panel of judges will determine the winners based on the following categories:
- Inputs & Assumptions – the quality of assumptions, logic, market sizing, drivers, etc
- Structure – layout, and design of the model, including ease of use and auditing
- Logic – how easy it is to follow the line of reasoning and audit the model
- Formulas – use of formulas to solve problems and make the model flow
- Accuracy – accurate calculations of all forested items in the financial model (e.g., Free Cash Flow to Firm)
- Valuation – the final risk-weighted value assigned to the business based on assumptions
- Formatting – how neat, easy to follow and aesthetically pleasing is the model
- Dynamicity – the use of formulas and functions to make the model dynamic
- Recommendations – the quality of recommendations and key takeaways
- Outputs – the overall presentation of outputs including charts and graphs
The panel will carefully grade each of the above qualities on a scale of 1 to 10.
The total score will then be added up, with a perfect score being 100.
Contestants finishing in the top three spots of the financial modeling competition will share a cash prize of USD $10,000*.
Cash prizes are as follows*:
- $7,000 #1 First Place
- $2,000 #2 Second Place
- $1,000 #3 Third Place
*Refer to the full terms and conditions located here: financialmodeling.org/terms-conditions/.
What are the dates of the 2019 financial modeling competition?
The 2018 Global Financial Modeling Competition is held in November.
Competition Starts: November 15, 2019 at 12:01 a.m. UTC
Competition Ends: November 22, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. UTC
What is the 2019 financial modeling case topic?
The 2019 financial modeling competition will be a Mergers & Acquisition Case, you will receive a set of possible target companies to analyze what would be the impact of acquiring each company, and what would be the most valuable deal.
What was the 2018 financial modeling case about?
In the 2018 financial modeling competition, you are an Analyst at the private equity firm Silver Lane Management, which invests in high growth companies with an expected internal rate of return of 25% or more. This CIM was prepared by an investment bank, Mid-Market Advisors, to help their client SHOX raise a round of growth equity.
Your task is to create a financial model for the company and price the intrinsic value of the business, then present a pitch on whether your firm should invest in the company or not.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CASE
- Download all files for the competition (CIM, Excel Data File, PowerPoint Template)
- Read the CIM to determine your forecast assumptions and drivers based on industry growth and Management’s Discussion and Analysis
- Build a financial model and determine the intrinsic value of the Company, and an illustrative internal rate of return (IRR) at different prices and under different scenarios
- Build a short presentation on the Investment opportunity – summarize your financial model (assumptions, financial forecast, valuation, etc) and provide a recommendation
- Record a quick 5-minute video presentation (screen recording) of your analysis
Register now at financialmodeling.org.